12.02.2013

December

We are meeting Thursday, December 19th, 7:00 pm at Jackie's house, to choose our books for next year. Leave a comment on this post with a short description of your book(s) so anyone who can't make it that night can vote by proxy. I think everyone got 12 tokens last year. Also, if you have a plastic container (butter, sour cream, etc.), bring it on the 19th with a slot in the lid for the tokens. And let's bring some yummy treats, too, and call it a party!

3 comments:

  1. My pick for next year is "The Paris Wife," by Paula McLain. It's a fictionalized account of Ernest Hemingway's wife Hadley, and it's written from her point of view, her perspective on her husband and Paris in the 1920s. The first line of the book is, “Though I often looked for one, I finally had to admit that there could be no cure for Paris.”

    Copy and paste this into your browser for a description of the book: http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/features/paula_mclain/

    And here's a description/review that I found on a blog: http://delsoblogger.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/the-paris-wife/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll be bringing 2 books…one that I read and loved, and another that I have not read. Here are summaries, ratings & links to read about the books on Goodreads.com:

    1 – the one I’ve read –
    "The Rent Collector" is the story of a young mother, Sang Ly, struggling to survive by picking through garbage in Cambodia's largest municipal dump, Stung Meanchey. It’s a tale of discovery and redemption in which she learns that literature, like hope, is found in the most unexpected places. Though the book is a work of fiction, it was inspired by real people living at Stung Meanchey.
    - 4.5 stars on Amazon out of 292 reviews
    - 4.3 stars on Goodreads out of 2,741 reviews
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13628812-the-rent-collector?from_search=true


    2 – the one I haven’t read –
    "The Forgotten Garden" is a 2008 novel written by Australian author Kate Morton, driven by the mystery of why a 4-year-old child is found abandoned on an Australian wharf in 1913.
    - 4.5 stars on Amazon out of 1,245 reviews
    - 4.09 stars on Goodreads out of 89,069 reviews
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4107909-the-forgotten-garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherlyn was planning on The Rent Collector, too. See you Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind, don't be shy!