The time has come!!!
Tuesday the 18th we will be meeting at Jackie's at 7pm to vote on book choices for the year. So if you can make it, bring something to represent your two books for people to vote on. If you can't make it, we still want your vote to count, so please come back to the blog very soon to....
1. Leave a comment including your book authors and choices. (That's all it needs to be, because we can all go online and look up the synopsis of the books on our own time.)
2. Then, if you aren't able to come to the meeting Tuesday night, check the comments and email one of member of the book club that plans on attending the meeting your picks for the book club. (I will be there, so you can email me if you're not sure who else is going: olivialangford (at) gmail dot com) You will get twelve votes/tickets, I believe. So you can vote for books more than once with your tickets (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the amount of tickets). Then that person will bring your list of votes to the meeting tomorrow night to include your votes.
ALL persons submitting books to be voted on must leave a comment with those book choices here. If you know of anyone who can't access the blog to leave a comment, please help them out and get them the link to this blog, or get their book choices and leave a comment on their behalf. You won't need "permissions" to leave a comment, that is only for writing a post. We are not voting here on the blog, so don't leave comments indicating your votes.
I really hope that all makes sense, and I apologize for not getting this written sooner!
See you all tomorrow night at Jackie's!
--Olivia
Mmmmkay everyone, here are my choices:
ReplyDeleteThe Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan--a classic book club read, and a nod to Chinese cultural history, one of my favorite genres.
http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Luck-Club-Amy-Tan/dp/0143038095/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355760439&sr=1-1&keywords=joy+luck+club
My second choice is The Five People You Meet in Heaven, by Mitch Albom.
This one makes you think in an "It's a Wonderful Life" kind of way. It is also a pretty quick read, so you get a lot of impact for little effort :)
http://www.amazon.com/Five-People-You-Meet-Heaven/dp/0786868716/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355761122&sr=1-1&keywords=the+five+people+you+meet+in+heaven
~Natalie
Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Hannah-Coulter-Wendell-Berry/dp/1593760787/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355768674&sr=1-1&keywords=hannah+coulter
Silas Marner: The Weaver of Raveloe By:George Elliot
http://www.amazon.com/Silas-Marner-Weaver-Raveloe-Classics/dp/0199536775/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355768813&sr=1-2&keywords=silas+marner+by+george+eliot
Seven Miracles That Saved America: Why They Matter and Why We Should Have Hope by Chris Stewart and Ted Stewart
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Seven-Miracles-That-Saved-America/dp/1606411446/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355771745&sr=1-1&keywords=7+miracles+that+saved+america
Matched by Ally Condie
http://www.amazon.com/Matched-Ally-Condie/dp/014241977X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355772046&sr=1-1&keywords=matched
Ok, so I have book choices and a couple comments. (Surprise, surprise!) I'm not sure about the number of votes/tickets we all get, (I can't remember) but I know that Jackie has done this before and is ready to give us all the rules when we get to book club tomorrow night. Also, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought we decided at last month's meeting that we were going to give a quick synopsis of our book choice(s) at tomorrow night's meeting before the voting begins. I don't know about all of you, but unfortunately I don't have time to go and research all of the book titles listed here before tomorrow night's meeting, but I don't see why we can't give everyone sixty seconds at the meeting to give their "pitch". I'd rather hear about WHY someone likes a book than just get a plot summary anyway.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that it's nice to see the book titles here ahead of time, but I'm not sure it's fair to exclude those that don't leave their book title in the comments ahead of time but do show up to the meeting. They obviously might get less votes because those who are voting "by proxy" wouldn't have the chance to vote for their book, but I don't think they should automatically be ruled out tomorrow night. We can still compile a list of books that were suggested but not selected after tomorrow's meeting, but I just don't think we should leave anyone out. Let me know what the rest of you think please!
That being said, here are my book suggestions:
Hotel On The Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
http://www.amazon.com/Hotel-Corner-Bitter-Sweet-ebook/dp/B001NLL5AO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355801537&sr=8-2&keywords=hotel+on+the+corner+of+bitter+and+sweet
And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander
http://www.amazon.com/Only-Deceive-Lady-Emily/dp/006114844X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355801726&sr=1-1&keywords=and+only+to+deceive
And here is Jackie's suggestion:
The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz
It's a non-fiction book about a Polish soldier who is accused of being a spy and gets arrested by the Russians, is held in prison for over a year, is sentenced to a life-time in prison in Siberia, his journey to the prison camp, his escape from the prison camp, and his journey by foot from Siberia (in freezing weather and snow), through China, through the Gobi Desert (in extreme heat), over the Himalayas and into British India to freedom. It's a pretty fascinating book.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/long-walk-slavomir-rawicz/1100305807?cm_mmc=googlepla-_-book-_-q000000633-_-9781592289448&cm_mmca2=pla&ean=9781592289448&r=1
Uglies by Scott Westerfield
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Uglies-The-Scott-Westerfeld/dp/1442419814/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355803397&sr=8-1&keywords=uglies
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Gatsby-F-Scott-Fitzgerald/dp/0743273567/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355803466&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Great+Gatsby
Yeah, I don't think we decided it was required to post book choices on the blog. It's a good idea to give people a heads up and to make people who won't be there aware of your choices in case they want to have someone vote for them. (that was a weird sentence) And yes, I agree that we should each have a minute or two to "pitch" our books!
ReplyDeleteHere are my choices:
Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James (Remember Julia Roberts' character in Notting Hill? She was filming a Henry James movie adaptation when Hugh Grant came to visit her on the set!)
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonson
boy, I'm just batting a thousand. Sorry if I made it sound like any books that aren't posted here would be excluded from voting at the meeting. I don't want people to think that's what I meant, because it's not. I just wanted people to know that it was important to put the books here for people that can't come. Of course if you don't post them here, you can still submit them at the meeting. Of course you can give a little plug for your book at the meeting. We talked about that. But we also talked about not having a huge comment section filled with synopsis of books, because people can look up the summaries with the link provided. I'm sure if I had gotten this up sooner, it would not have been a big deal for anyone who can't come to vote at the meeting to take a quick look at a synopsis online, but since the meeting is so close, and people don't have time it does make sense to put a short reason why we want people to vote for our book here in the comment section. I feel badly that I misinterpreted or mis-heard what we talked about at the last meeting regarding how this was going to work. This post was meant to really just be for all of us to make it fair for the people who can't vote in person. Maybe that isn't a big issue to some of you, but if it were me, I'd want it to be fair if I couldn't attend. I appreciate your help in setting things straight and clearing it all up, because I know I don't do a very good job of it! Sorry again for any confusion and for this getting put up so late.
ReplyDeleteMy books are:
The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052181
It's a non-fiction book about a black woman in the fifties who gets her cancerous cells used for research without her permission. It's fascinating, really makes you think, and I learned a lot about the medical/science industry through reading it.
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
http://www.amazon.com/Particular-Sadness-Lemon-Cake/dp/0385720963
This book is about a girl who can taste people's feelings by eating something that they cooked. It's kind of weird, a little bit frustrating,a page turner (for me, at least) and a really cool idea for a novel. It's a book that not everyone will love, but I think the discussion will be interesting.
I'm sad we're out of town this week and I won't be there tonight. I'm glad there is a way for me to still participate somewhat! Here are my book choices:
ReplyDeleteBel Canto by Ann Patchett
Set in South America, this book is about a group of people, mostly foreign diplomats and an American soprano, who are taken hostage by local terrorists. The characters form unlikely relationships in an even more unlikely setting. I think it's well written and explores human relationships that go beyond stereotypes.
http://www.amazon.com/Bel-Canto-P-S-Ann-Patchett/dp/0061565318/ref=pd_cp_b_0
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I know, I know, it's a classic and most everyone had to read it in high school. :) BUT, I surprisingly never read it in high school, nor as an English major, and so it was the last book I read that I just LOVED and would want to read again. After I read it, I wanted to talk about it with someone, so that's why I'm offering it as a book club choice.
http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Eyre-Dover-Thrift-Editions/dp/0486424499/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355859075&sr=1-1&keywords=jane+eyre
My books are The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Glass-Castle-Memoir-Jeannette-Walls/dp/074324754X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355874222&sr=1-1&keywords=the+glass+castle
and Austenland by Shannon Hale
http://www.amazon.com/Austenland-Novel-Shannon-Hale/dp/1596912863/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355874264&sr=1-1&keywords=austenland
Both of these books have other companion books that would be fun for additional reading or whatever.