4.25.2012

May Book Club

The book for May is Home by Marilynne Robinson.  Here's a summary from Amazon (because writing one on my own would require too much thought for this stage of my life. :) ):

"Robinson's...novel, a companion piece to her Pulitzer Prize–winning Gilead, is an elegant variation on the parable of the prodigal son's return. The son is Jack Boughton, one of the eight children of Robert Boughton, the former Gilead, Iowa, pastor, who now, in 1957, is a widowed and dying man. Jack returns home shortly after his sister, 38-year-old Glory, moves in to nurse their father, and it is through Glory's eyes that we see Jack's drama unfold. When Glory last laid eyes on Jack, she was 16, and he was leaving Gilead with a reputation as a thief and a scoundrel, having just gotten an underage girl pregnant. By his account, he'd since lived as a vagrant, drunk and jailbird until he fell in with a woman named Della in St. Louis. By degrees, Jack and Glory bond while taking care of their father, but when Jack's letters to Della are returned unopened, Glory has to deal with Jack's relapse into bad habits and the effect it has on their father."

Keep in mind that this book is much more about the characters than the plot line, so it is definitely slower paced.  Try to just go with it!

I will be picking up a couple of copies from the library tomorrow.  Let me know if you are ready for one and I'll get it to you.  Thanks. 

Book club will be the last week of May at my house, either May 29th or May 30th.  I will let you know for sure soon!  Happy reading!

8 comments:

  1. I have two copies sitting at my house ready for someone to read them! Who wants one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would! Can I grab it Thursday at preschool?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be gone that week. :( I'd still like to read it, but I'll wait until the books have made the rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like a copy please :) I'll email you-olivia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie--yes!
    Olivia--let me know when you'll be around and I can drop it by.
    Becky--we'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and when anyone is finished...I'd like to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are there any copies of the book floating around?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just looked at the arapahoe library website, and there are 3 copies available. You can request one and have it sent to smoky hill.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind, don't be shy!