7.26.2011

Book for August

Book Choice for August 2011
Book: "The Lonesome Gods"



Author: Louie L'Amour




Meeting Date: Wednesday, August 24th
Book Delivery: I currently have five books, and expect more to come each day (I'm waiting for 6 more). I will deliver books to everyone who was at Olivia's house on Thursday, but if anyone who wasn't there would like a copy, please leave a comment on the blog and I'll find a book for you. The order of delivery will be the order we were sitting at Olivia's house - going clockwise from the door: Carin, Mindy (& Grace - can you share a book?), Jenn, Olivia, Angie, Jackie, Becky (I skipped Joelle because she already has a copy). If I forgot someone, please forgive me and leave a comment on the blog.
Summary: The Lonesome Gods is Louis L'Amour's biggest and most important historical novel to date, a sweeping adventure of the California frontier. Here is the fascinating story of Johannes Verne, a young man left to die by his vengeful grandfather, rescued by outlaws and raised in part by the Indians of the desert. Strengthened by the love of two women -- Miss Nesselrode, whose mysterious past fires her ambitions for the future and Meghan, a willful young beauty -- Verne grows to become a rugged adventurer, a man strong enough to embrace the awesome power of the Palm Springs desert, and bold enough to stake a claim in the bustling world of opportunity that was early-day Los Angeles.
First Paragraph: "I sat very still, as befitted a small boy among strangers, staring wide-eyed into a world I did not know. I was six years old and my father was dying. Only last year I had lost my mother. She died longing for that far-off, lovely California where she was born, and of which she never tired of talking. "Warm and sunny," people said when speaking of California, but I knew it as a place where fear lived. Now we were going there. We were crossing the desert to face that fear, and I was afraid."
About L'Amour:
Louis Dearborn L'Amour was an American author. His books consisted primarily of Western fiction novels (though he called his work 'Frontier Stories'), however he also wrote historical fiction (The Walking Drum), science fiction (The Haunted Mesa), nonfiction (Frontier), as well as poetry and short-story collections. Many of his stories were made into movies. L'Amour's books remain popular and most have gone through multiple printings. At the time of his death some of his 105 existing works were in print (89 novels, 14 short-story collections, and two full-length works of nonfiction) and he was considered "one of the world's most popular writers". (From Wikipedia)


9 comments:

  1. Sorry for the underlined words :( I'm too lazy to fix them at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxiously awaiting my copy, even though I'm last!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I have 8 books (one is LARGE print - kinda awkward to read) and I'm going to deliver them tonight to everyone that was at book club last week Becky, you're cute - but you're not gonna have to wait very long! I am waiting for 3 more if anyone else would like one (Peggy? Lindsay? Erica? Anna? Kim? Natalie? Ra Nell?). Happy reading! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love a copy when one is available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, good Lindsay! I'm glad you want one. I passed out all of the books I have so far, except the LARGE print book. It is still available. Would you like that one? The book itself it not large, just the text is large. Or you could wait for one of the other three I am expecting any day now. Just let me know. -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind taking the large print one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, I requested a copy of the book through Prospector right after the last book club, and I just picked it up today. If somebody still needs a copy, I can get them the one that you dropped off at my house. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angie, Peggy called me last night and asked for a book. I am still waiting for the final 3 books, so if you could give her yours that would be helpful. Thanks for sharing! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a chance I could get in on this? I am leaving Friday (5th) morning, but if anyone is done or has an extra I will pick it up! Thanks--Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind, don't be shy!