Give this book a chance! Like lots of "classics", Wuthering Heights can be hard to get into. I read lots of classics but it usually does take me a little while to enjoy them. They don't grab you and pull you in like modern day literature. But once you get into the story and become familiar with the characters, plodding through that early, boring part becomes so worth it! Wuthering Heights is like this. I read it a few years ago and I remember not being able to put it down at some point. I wish I could write a really terrific summary, but I can't totally remember the whole story line (blame it on "mommy brain"), so here's a little something taken from amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Wuthering-Heights-Barnes-Noble-Classics/dp/1593081286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267679492&sr=1-1 ):
"Emily BrontĂ«’s only novel, Wuthering Heights remains one of literature’s most disturbing explorations into the dark side of romantic passion. Heathcliff and Cathy believe they’re destined to love each other forever, but when cruelty and snobbery separate them, their untamed emotions literally consume them.
Set amid the wild and stormy Yorkshire moors, Wuthering Heights, an unpolished and devastating epic of childhood playmates who grow into soul mates, is widely regarded as the most original tale of thwarted desire and heartbreak in the English language."
If that doesn't entice you, maybe knowing that it was Bella's (yes, that Bella) favorite book will! :)
Good luck and happy reading! (Well, maybe not all that happy since it's not exactly a happy book.) Let me know if you have any questions or need encouragement!
Lindsay
No comments:
Post a Comment
Speak your mind, don't be shy!