2.18.2015

February 2015 Book Club Meeting

We will be meeting at my place for book club this month on Thursday, February 26th at 7pm.  Please note that this is a location change from the schedule on the blog (don't want you to show up at the wrong place!).  We will be discussing the book "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini.  Below is a brief summary of the book:

Born a generation apart and with very different ideas about love and family, Mariam and Laila are two women brought jarringly together by war, by loss and by fate. As they endure the ever escalating dangers around them – in their home as well as in the streets of Kabul – they come to form a bond that makes them both sisters and mother-daughter to each other, and that will ultimately alter the course not just of their own lives but of the next generation. With heart-wrenching power and suspense, Hosseini shows how a woman's love for her family can move her to shocking and heroic acts of self-sacrifice, and that in the end it is love, or even the memory of love, that is often the key to survival.

Hope to see you there!

-Diana H.

3 comments:

  1. I waited too long to pick up the book from the library, so I'm not gonna get very far in the book by Thursday. :( How are you all coming? Have you finished it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I won't be there on Thursday but I wanted to ask you the name of the poetry anthology you brought in December. I've looked at a few and they haven't been as good. Do you remember?

      Delete
  2. Hi Lyndsey. The book is "The Oxford Treasury of Classic Poems" by Michael Harrison (it has a blue cover). A blog post about it is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind, don't be shy!