11.08.2012

November/December Book Club Meeting-The Book Thief

I hope your November is going splendidly!

For this month, I have chosen The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. Here is a description from Amazon:

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.


And I will add, paraphrased form a quote by the author, that it is also a book about finding the beautiful moments in life, even when life is tragic.
This is a whopper of a book, 574 pages, but don't let that scare you. Just dive in and enjoy!
Now for the logistics...we could meet the last week of November, but that only gives you less than three weeks to read the book, so if no one objects, I think it would be better to have our meeting the first week of December, on either Tuesday the 4th or Wednesday the 5th at my house. Let me know what day would work best for you.


The other thing we have to figure out is when to have our book selection meeting for next year's books. It might be best to have that be a separate meeting, but I do want to just put it out there that I would be fine having it the same night as we discuss my book. I think the holidays are really hard to schedule in one extra thing, and since my book has elements to it that are not in a cheerful holiday spirit, it might be nice to end the night on the happy note of knowing which books we will have for the entire next year. BUT, I totally understand if others would prefer to do it a separate night, or even wait and schedule it for sometime in January and not have a book to read in January. Whatever we decide is totally fine with me.


So, let me know in the comments, or email me back:
1. December 4th or 5th?
2. When do we have our book choice meeting?
3. (Did we ever decide the procedure for choosing the books for next year, by the way? I remember talking about it, but of course I forget what the logistics actually were.)


Thanks, all!

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Also, I added a few new polls to add to our ratings list. Have you guys looked through that? It's huge! Our book club is the best!!

    I'm leaving the voting open until the 30th of November in hopes that it will give more people time to vote.

    Thanks, everybody!
    --Olivia

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind, don't be shy!