Book club is tomorrow (Thursday) night at my house at 7 pm. If you have time, look over the questions at the end of the book or find some online, and come prepared to share your insights. See you soon. Tap 'er light.
Becky & Jenn (and everyone else who was at 'Prayers for Sale' Book Club Meeting last week),
I’m still reading the book and earlier today I came across the “Tenmile Head” reference that we were looking for (that is what we were looking for, right?). Jenn, I totally lead you astray on the page number...it’s on page 200, on the left hand side. You were right that it came later!
Anyway, the conversation happened at Hennie’s house the first time Nit, Dick and Tom ate dinner together there.
“Did I tell you this is Tenmile Moon made right here on the Swan?” Hennie asked the boy (Dick), as she handed Tom his glass. “Tastiest stuff there is. And it won’t give you Tenmile head. That’s what we call a hangover at ten thousand feet.” “Or a blue Monday, either,” Tom added. The leather bellies didn’t call it “blue Monday” because of washday. Blue Monday was when you were still hungover from drinking whiskey on Saturday night, Hennie explained. She stood back and lifted her glass. “Here’s to your health.” She took in her three guests with the toast. “And the same right back to you.” Tom lifted his tumbler and downed the whiskey in one gulp.
I thought your game was fun, Becky. I don't think I'll ever forget those phrases we defined...Blue devils, hereafter, Tap 'er light, complaint, leaving out, etc.
Becky & Jenn (and everyone else who was at 'Prayers for Sale' Book Club Meeting last week),
ReplyDeleteI’m still reading the book and earlier today I came across the “Tenmile Head” reference that we were looking for (that is what we were looking for, right?). Jenn, I totally lead you astray on the page number...it’s on page 200, on the left hand side. You were right that it came later!
Anyway, the conversation happened at Hennie’s house the first time Nit, Dick and Tom ate dinner together there.
“Did I tell you this is Tenmile Moon made right here on the Swan?” Hennie asked the boy (Dick), as she handed Tom his glass. “Tastiest stuff there is. And it won’t give you Tenmile head. That’s what we call a hangover at ten thousand feet.”
“Or a blue Monday, either,” Tom added.
The leather bellies didn’t call it “blue Monday” because of washday. Blue Monday was when you were still hungover from drinking whiskey on Saturday night, Hennie explained. She stood back and lifted her glass. “Here’s to your health.” She took in her three guests with the toast.
“And the same right back to you.” Tom lifted his tumbler and downed the whiskey in one gulp.
I thought your game was fun, Becky. I don't think I'll ever forget those phrases we defined...Blue devils, hereafter, Tap 'er light, complaint, leaving out, etc.
-Melissa
Thanks for finding that, Melissa! Hangover at 10,000 feet--I should have remembered that. Oh, I should have included "leather bellies," too!
ReplyDelete