8.16.2010

Making the most

of a bad situation. I have been beating myself up over this book. Obviously there were some less than desirable parts, but I hope no one will be super upset. This book is similar to The Life of Pi for me in the way that when I took a step back from some of the details and focused on the big picture I had a better appreciation for the book. Hopefully you guys can feel the same way about it.

Here are some questions I have been thinking about and thought we could use as a starting point-
* Were the characters in the book true friends? How do you know?
* How is mental illness viewed then? Does it differ from now?
* Is it possible to love more than one person at the same time?
* Would the story be different if Dick didn't have an alcohol problem?
* Look at the role of Dick and Nicole as parents. Who had more influence, the parents or the nanny?
* How are the characters in the book, or mankind, like the Tour de France racers?
* Are some marriages doomed to fail? Assuming they made the right choice to get married, did later choices lead to their divorce? Did money play a role?
* Dick becomes violent towards the end. How does this reflect what is happening inside? What are your outside manifestations of what's inside (good or bad)?

We'll see you on Thursday the 19th, at 7, at Jenn's house.
We still need someone to volunteer for next month. I also thought we would talk about what we want to do for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, don't be shy!