1.08.2010

Some Things To Think About

While You Read Life Of Pi...

Since this is the second time I have read this book, I was able to think about some things differently this time around, and I have come up with, well...many questions about the book.  Some of them I have already formed opinions about, and others I am still contemplating.  But I thought I would post these questions while everyone is reading the book so that we can all think about things during the process and discuss them on Feb 2nd.  Feel free to make a comment here, or ask another question in the comments, or save your thoughts for our next book club meeting.

Sooo...forgive me if it sounds a bit like a high school lit class, but here goes:

Do you think there is significance in the following things?:

The sloth, which is the first animal that is given a lot of attention and explanation by the narrator
The main character's nick-name, Pi

The author claims in the foreword that this story is the result of an interview with the main character.  Do you think this story really happened?  If so, does the author have a message or idea he's trying to get across while using Pi Patel as a means to get that message across, or is it simply a memoir of sorts?  If it's a simple memoir, does Pi Patel have a message he's trying to get across?  Is the author or Pi successful, and what is the message?

There is a second narrator, whose voice is written in italics.  Have you figured out who this is?  Who did you think it was before you finished the book?

The book is slow-going at the beginning, mostly concentrating on animals and religion.  Did the author over-do it, or did it serve the story and main character well?

I have LOTS of other questions that I'm dying to know what other people think about the book and everything that happens in it, but these questions will give away too much of the story, so I'll just leave off right here.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I can't wait to read it and figure these out! Thanks for the questions :)

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind, don't be shy!